Cabbage Thoran( Kerala Style)
Being an Indian, we have different cultures, traditions in our country
So I am keen sharing a recipe which is based from Kerala, a state in India, called as Gods own Country
Its simple, tastes good and people who are health conscious must try this recipe for sure
Cabbage thoran or cabbage fry is a dry vegetable dish made in Kerala
The entire recipe is oil free, healthy and completely steamed
Recipe as follows :
- Cabbage : 1/2 of one medium sized cabbage shredded or finely chopped
- Small Red Onions /Shallots or Onion : 1/4 cup small size, chopped
- Grated Coconut : 1/2 cup
- Garlic : 2-3 pods finely chopped
- Cumin : 1/4 tsp
- Green Chillies : 3-4 slit lengthwise
- Turmeric Powder : a pinch
- Mustard Seeds : 1/2 tsp
- Curry Leaves : a sprig
- Salt to taste
- Oil : 2 tbsp
- Using your hands mix grated coconut with turmeric powder,shallots,cumin seeds,garlic or you can just pulse 1 time everything together coarsely in blender.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds and when it starts to splutter; add curry leaves, slit green chilies and saute for a minute.
- Add the shredded cabbage and saute and close and cook for a minute.
- Add the coconut mixture and mix everything together.
- Cover the pan and cook on low heat,stirring occasionally; After 5 minutes remove the lid and stir fry for another 5 minutes.