Before I could share the chetinad chicken curry recipe, would like to share some interesting history of the Chetinads.
Chettinad is a wonderful small town which has the remnants of its glorious past. Chettinad is famous for its houses and buildings. Chettinad is the homeland of Natukottai Chettiar also known as the Nagarathars. The Chettiars who are the residents of Chettinad are considered to be the pioneers of banking.
Chettinad is a region of the Sivaganga district of southern Tamil Nadu state, India. Karaikudi is known as the capital of Chettinad, which includes Karaikudi and 74 other villages. … “Chettinad” also means a social caste that specializes in the preparation of food.
The richness of the gravies is increased by addition of tomatoes, coconut, ginger and garlic. Traditionally, the spices were grounded using grinding stones. Chettinad cuisine is loaded with distinct aromas and flavours
Chettinad cuisine is not spicy, oily and full of fried items.The food in my home is often milder!” Chettinad cuisine typically uses more coriander seeds than chilli in its recipes, so the fact that the food is spicy is a complete misnomer.
Ingredients Of Chicken Chettinad
- 500 gms chicken
- 75 ml oil
- 150 gms onions
- 100 gms tomatoes
- 2 gms cinnamon sticks
- 2 gms cloves
- 2 gms cardamoms
- 5 gms cumin
- 2 gms curry leaves
- 10 gms turmeric powder
- 25 gms coriander leaves
- For paste:
- 100 gms onions
- 50 gms ginger
- 50 gms garlic
- 50 gram fennel seeds
- 20 gms cumin seeds
- 25 gms peppercorns
- 10 gms red chillies
- 100 gms coconut
How to Make Chicken Chettinad
- 1.Grind the ingredients for the paste.
- 2.Clean and cut the chicken into 16 pieces. Marinate the chicken with the paste.
- 3.Chop the tomatoes, coriander leaves and the onions.
- 4.Heat oil and add the cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and cumin, saute.
- 5.Add the chopped onions and the curry leaves. Saute until the onions are golden.
- 6.Add the tomatoes and saute for 5 minutes.
- 7.Add the marinated chicken and turmeric powder. Saute for 10 minutes, sprinkling water at intervals.
- 8.Add enough salt, cover with a lid and cook until done. Add more chilli or pepper if required.
- 9.Serve garnished with coriander leaves.