26 July, 2020
Masala DosaPosted in : Veg/Non Veg on by : Simmi Iyer
Masala dosa or masale dose is a variation of the popular South Indian food dosa, which has its origins in Tuluva Mangalorean cuisine. It is made from rice, lentils, potato, methi, and curry leaves, and served with chutneys and sambar. It is popular in South India, it can be found in all other parts of the country and overseas.
- 2 Cups Rice (preferably parboiled)
- 1/2 cup Black Gram (Dhuli Urad)(split and husked)
- 1/2 tsp Fenugreek seeds
- 2 tsp Salt
- For cooking dosas Oil
- For the Masala for Dosas:
- 500 gram Potatoes (peeled and cubed), boiled
- 1 1/2 cups Onions, sliced
- 2 Green chillies (optional), finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 6-7 Curry leaves
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric, powdered
- 1/2 cup Water
How to Make Masala Dosa
- 1.Wash and soak the rice in one container and the dal and fenugreek seeds together in another container for 5-6 hours or over night, depending on the weather.
- 2.Grind dal mixture together to a very smooth consistency. Next grind the rice smooth too and mix the two batters.
- 3.Add salt and enough water to make into a dropping consistency. Leave to ferment over-night or more depending on the weather, till a little spongy.
- 4.If thickened too much, add a little water to thin a bit. Heat tawa, and brush oil over it. When really hot, splash a little water over it, and immediately pour batter onto it, spreading it thin, with a circular motion.
- 5.This will have to be very swift and will need a bit of practice.
- 6.After spreading the batter, lower the heat and dribble a little oil around the edges so that it seeps under the dosa.
- 7.When edges start browning a bit, pass a flat spoon under it to ease the dosa off the pan. Put desired filling in the center, and fold the two edges over.
- 8.Serve accompanied with sambhar and chutney.
- Prepare the masala filling:
- 1.Heat the oil in a heavy based pan and add the mustard seeds, then onions, curry leaves and green chillies, and saute over high heat till the onions are a little transparent.
- 2.Add the salt and the turmeric and mix well, before adding the potatoes.
- 3.Turn the potatoes around till well mixed, and add the water, and let it simmer, for 2-3 minutes.