29 July, 2020
Puran PoliPosted in : Veg/Non Veg on by : Simmi Iyer
Food is the ultimate spirit of any festive occasion and the popular Maharashtrian dish puran poli defines the festival of Ganesh Chaturthi and other festive occasions like Diwali. It is an easy recipe of flat bread stuffed with a sweet lentil filling made from chana dal and sugar. You can use Bengal gram and jaggery too. In Marathi language, the sweet filling is called puran and the outer bread is the poli. It is a delicious side dish with rich flavours yet extremely easy and quick to make. Loved by kids and adults alike, you can even pack this dish for tiffin.
For the filling
- 2 cups Cooked Chana Dal
- 1 cup Jaggery (Grated)
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom Powder
- 1/2 tsp Fennel Powder (Not traditional. I add it because I like the flavour.)
For the dough
- 2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder (Not traditional. I add it for that lovely colour.)
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Ghee (Plus for frying)
- Mix flour, turmeric powder, salt and ghee in a bowl and mix well using your finger tips.
- Add little water and make a soft dough.
- Cover and keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Mix cooked dal, jaggery and ghee in a pan and cook until jaggery is dissolved and mixed with dal.
- Simmer the heat and cook the mixture until it starts to leave the sides of the pan and is thickened nicely.
- Add nutmeg powder, cardamom powder and fennel powder and mix well.
- Remove the filling from heat and let it cool.
- Divide the filling into 6-8 equal parts.
- Divide the dough into 6-8 equal portions.
- Dust and roll the dough balls to make a 4-5 inch circle.
- Keep a filling ball in the centre of the dough circle and bring the ends together.
- Dust and roll again to make a 6 inch circle.
- Heat a griddle and transfer the Puran Poli on the griddle.
- Cook from both the sides until brown spots appear.
- Apply ghee on both the sides and press the Puran Poli using back of a ladle and fry until golden brown from both the sides.
- Make all the Puran Poli in the same manner.
- Apply some more ghee on top and serve it with Katachi Amti.