Sabudana Khichdi is a Maharashtrian dish made with sabudana, potatoes and peanuts. Sabudana Khichdi is a perfect food for those on a fast or vrat and it is also made in many household as breakfast. Popular during fasts, it’s also well known as Sabudana Khichdi faraal food .
- 1 cup sabudana / tapioca / sago
- 2 tbsp ghee /butter
- 1 tsp jeera / cumin
- 3 green chilli, slit
- ½ boiled potato / aloo, chopped
- 3 tbsp peanuts, roasted & crushed
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
- ½ lemon
- firstly, in a large bowl soak 1 cup sabudana in enough water for 3 hours or till it gets mashed up easily. depending on quality of sabudana increase or decrease the soaking time.
- drain off the sabudana well in a strainer and rest for 30 minutes.
- prepare the tempering by heating 2 tbsp ghee in a kadai.
- further add in 1 tsp jeera and saute till they turn aromatic.
- additionally, add 3 slit green chilli, and ½ boiled and chopped potato.
- saute for 2 minutes.
- now add in drained sabudana along with 3 tbsp roasted & crushed peanuts, 1 tsp sugar and ½ tsp salt.
- combine well making sure not to mash the sabudana.
- cover and simmer for 3 minutes or until sabudana gets cooked well.
- sabudana has cooked completely indicated by the pearls turning translucent.
- furthermore add in 2 tbsp coriander leaves and half lemon juice. mix well.
- finally, serve sabudana khichdi for breakfast or as a snack.