Sometimes, we can definitely cheat on our diet. Who doesn’t like a chicken burger or a veg burger? If its made at home then I think its not only healthy but clean too
Hence if you child next time asking for a burger surprise him with the below recipe. The non vegetarians can replace veg pattice with chicken
for veg patty
- 300 grams potatoes or 3 large potatoes
- 100 to 125 grams carrot or 1 medium to large carrot
- 40 grams french beans or 8 to 9 french beans
- ⅓ to ½ cup peas – fresh or frozen
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped or ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic or ½ teaspoon garlic paste
- ¾ inch ginger or 2 teaspoon chopped ginger or 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 or 2 green chilies or 1 teaspoon chopped green chilies or ½ teaspoon green chili paste
- 2 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves or fresh parsley leaves
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder (ground coriander)
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder (ground cumin)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder or cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- ⅛ teaspoon turmeric powder – optional
- 5 to 6 tablespoon bread crumbs or add as required
- salt as required
- 2 to 3 tablespoon oil for pan frying 2 patties. overall for frying 4 patties – add 4 to 6 tablespoon oil
- 3 tablespoon maize flour (polenta or cornmeal) – substitute corn starch instead of maize flour
- 3 tablespoon rice flour
- 2 tablespoon gram flour (besan) or chickpea flour (substitute all purpose flour for rice flour or gram flour)
- ½ cup water
for breadcrumbs coating
- 4 to 5 bread slices made into bread crumbs (whole wheat, brown, white or multi grain bread) or ½ cup bread crumbs [substitute ½ cup rava or cream of wheat) for breadcrumbs]
for veg burger toppings
- 1 small to medium tomato – thinly sliced
- 1 small to medium cucumber – thinly sliced
- 1 small to medium onion – thinly sliced
- 4 to 5 lettuce leaves – chopped
- butter or oil as required for pan frying the buns
- 4 sesame burger buns – whole wheat or plain or multi grain
for veg burger sauce dressing
- 3 tablespoon vegetarian eggless mayonnaise or vegan mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds – crushed or powdered in a small spice grinder or mortar-pestle
- ½ teaspoon freshly crushed black pepper
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon sugar or add as required
- ⅛ teaspoon of salt or 2 to 3 pinches of salt
- ½ to 1 tablespoon lemon juice or add as required
- ½ teaspoon regular vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil or olive oil
- Break 6 to 7 slices of breads and add in a mixer or dry grinder. Grind to a fine consistency.
- Take the bread crumbs in a plate or bowl. Keep aside.
preparation for vegetable patty mixture
- Now rinse and steam 3 large potatoes, 1 medium carrot, 8 to 9 french beans and 1/3 cup peas till they are completely cooked. You can cook or steam the veggies in a pressure cooker for 3 whistles. You can also cook in a pan or in an electric cooker. Once cooked drain well the veggies. There should be no water in them.
- Peel and roughly chop the potatoes when warm. Also peel the cooked carrots and finely chop them. Finely chop the french beans too.
- Then mash the potatoes with a potato masher.
- When the mashed potatoes cools down completely, add the chopped carrots and beans. Also add the steamed peas.
- Mix everything well and keep aside.
- Then finely chop 1 medium sized onion and crush 4 to 5 garlic, 1/2 inch ginger and 1 or 2 green chilies. Keep aside. You can crush them together or separately.