29 July, 2020
Yakhni or Lamb Curry ( Kashmiri Style)Posted in : Veg/Non Veg on by : Simmi Iyer
If you wish to taste an authentic Kashmiri delicacy, then you must taste Yakhni which is lamb cooked in yoghurt based gravy. Yakhni is flavoured with mawal flowers, black and green cardamoms, onion paste and dry mint leaves with aromatic fennel seeds. Have it with well-cooked rice to enjoy the true flavour of this mouthwatering Kashmiri dish.
- 1.3 kg – lamb – (lamb on the bone is ideal – a few boneless pieces can be used too)
- 100 g – yoghurt
- 1-2 pieces – cinnamon
- 3 – black cardamoms
- 6 – green cardamoms
- 6 tbsp – whole aniseed
- 1/2 cup – ghee
- 2 tsp – gram flour
- 1 bunch – fresh mint –
- dried mint as desired
- 3 – cloves
How to Make ?
- Boil the lamb with the cinnamon, cardamoms and aniseed. (Tie the spices in a muslin pouch as they have to be discarded once the lamb is cooked.)
- Boil till the lamb is almost done. Reserve the water the lamb has been cooked in.
- Separately mix the besan in a little water till smooth. Keep aside.
- In a vessel, add the yoghurt, ghee and besan paste. Mix well.
- Turn on the heat and cook, stirring non-stop, till the mixture comes to a boil.
- Add the cloves and keep boiling till the ghee separates from the yoghurt.
- This takes a good 30 to 40 minutes.
- Once done, add the boiled lamb.
- Add the water that the lamb was boiled in, as needed.
- Do not throw away the remaining water, as you may need it if the curry becomes too thick.
- Add salt and the fresh mint sprigs.
- Once the lamb is tender, discard the mint sprigs.
- Add the dried mint (a few tsps will be enough) and cook for a few minutes more.
- Serve boiling hot with rice.
- The gravy should not be too thick when served.