2 August, 2020
Punjabi Wadi RicePosted in : Veg/Non Veg on by : Simmi Iyer
A specialty dish of North India especially Punjab, wadis make use of lentils in another form, unlike just as dals.
They can be quickly rustled up and added to any dish. This Punjabi Wadi Chawal rice dish is well flavored and prepared just like any pulao or biryani, with wadis added for that extra texture.
The wadi are slightly fried before adding to the rice giving them a very earthy flavour.
Enjoy this Punjabi Wadi Chawal with raita
- 2 cups Long Grain Basmati Rice
- 3-4 Urad Dal Wadi (Slightly crushed)
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- 2 Bay leaf
- 1 inch Cinnamon
- 2-3 Green cardamom
- 1/2 cup Onions (Thinly sliced)
- 2 Green chillies (Slit into halves)
- Salt (To taste)
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala
- 2 tsp Lemon juice
- Wash the rice and soak in enough water for 20 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan and once the oil is hot, fry the wadi until they are browned.
- Drain and keep aside.
- Heat ghee in a pan.
- Add bay leaf, cinnamon and cardamom and fry for a few seconds.
- Add onion and fry until golden brown.
- Drain the rice and add it in the pan along with green chilli, salt, garam masala, lemon juice and 4 cups of water.
- Add the fried wadi.
- Cover the pan and cook the rice on low heat until all the absorbed and rice is cooked.
- Remove the pan from heat and let the rice rest for 5 minutes.
- Fluff the rice with a fork.
- Serve hot with any raita of your choice.