5 August, 2020
AppamPosted in : Veg/Non Veg on by : Simmi Iyer
These tasty lacy soft hoppers also known as appam or palappam are a popular Kerala breakfast. Gluten-free and vegan. They are served along with the vegetable stew. Two more popular breakfast recipes from Kerala in the upcoming posts
Appam is one of our favorite breakfast combination and once in a month I make appams on weekends. the preparation is like making a Dosa batter and needs some prep work beforehand.
- 2 cups regular rice (sona masoori, basmati, kolam or any variety)
- 1 cup parboiled rice or boiled rice or idli rice
- a fistful of poha (aval or parched rice) or cooked rice
- 1 or 1.5 cups grated coconut or 1 cup thick coconut milk * check notes
- ½ teaspoon dry active yeast
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt or add as required
- water or as required for grinding
- oil as required
- Rinse both the rice varieties together for a couple of times.
- Soak both the regular rice, parboiled rice in water for 4 to 5 hours.
- Drain and then add them to the grinder. Also add the grated coconut, cooked rice or poha/aval, dry active yeast, salt and sugar.
- You can also proof the yeast separately and then add. Just take about 2 to 3 tbsp warm water. Add a pinch of sugar and dissolve it. Then add the yeast and stir. Let this solution sit at room temperature for 10 to 15 mins till it becomes bubbly and frothy. * check notes
- Add required amount of water and grind all the ingredients to a smooth flowing batter
- Pour the batter in a large bowl or pan. Cover and keep aside for fermenting for 8 to 12 hours, depending on the temperature conditions.
- The batter will rise and increase in volume the next day.
- Heat a kadai or an appam pan with handles. Smear some oil on the kadai. If using non stick kadai, then skip smearing the oil.
- Spread a ladle full of the batter. Turn and tilt the pan so as to spread the batter.
- Cover the pan and let the appam cook. The base would become nicely light golden.
- Make all appam this way.
- Serve the appam hot or warm with vegetable stew or sweetened coconut milk.