Sometimes we are really confused as to what to make for breakfast or lunch. sharing a simple recipe, which is healthy and tastes really nice. Besan chilla can be eaten as a side dish or just. You can add grated cabbage, grated carrots, or any veggie of your choice. Below recipe has onion and tomato. Also you can make chillas with tomatoes only
- 1 cup besan (gram flour)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped or ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 small tomato finely chopped or ¼ cup finely chopped tomatoes
- ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves
- 1 small green chili. finely chopped or ½ to ⅔ teaspoon finely chopped green chilies
- ½ inch ginger finely chopped or ½ teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- ½ teaspoon carom seeds (ajwain) or cumin seeds
- 2 to 3 pinches of turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder
- ½ to ⅔ cup water or add as required
- salt as per taste
- oil as required
making besan chilla batter
- Take 1 cup besan in a mixing bowl.
- Add all the ingredients except water and oil.
- Now first add 1/2 cup water.
- With a wired whisk begin to mix everything. If the batter looks thick, then add 1 to 3 tbsp more water. I overall added 2/3 cup water. Depending on the quality and texture of besan, addition of water will be more or less.
- Mix to a smooth flowing consistency in the batter. Break lumps if any while mixing batter.
making besan chilla recipe
- Heat a tawa or a flat pan on a low flame. You can use an iron tawa or a non stick pan. If using iron griddle or tawa, then spread a bit of oil on the tawa.
- Let the pan become medium hot. Then take a ladle full of the batter and pour on the pan
- Gently with the back of the ladle, begin to spread the batter.
- Spread lightly and gently so that the cheela does not break.
- On a low flame cook the cheela till the top begins to look cooked.
- Then drizzle 1/2 to 1 tsp oil on the cheela at the edges and all around.
- Continue to cook till the base gets light golden.
- Flip and now cook the other side.
- Cook this side till you see golden spots on the besan chilla.
- Fold and serve chilla hot or warm. Besan chilla are best had hot. But if you are not able to serve them hot, then place them in a casserole. They remain warm and can be served later.
- Serve besan chilla plain or with any chutney of your choice.