5 August, 2020
Patholi ( Konkan Style)Posted in : Veg/Non Veg on by : Simmi Iyer
Patholi are steamed rice rolls which are stuffed with fresh coconut and jaggery mixture. Patholi are made during the Gauri and Ganesha festival here. what makes the patholi special is the steaming technique. These rolls are steamed in Fresh turmeric leaves
for the outer cover of patholi
- 8 to 10 large turmeric leaves or 18-20 small leaves
- 2 cups fine rice flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- approx 1.5 cups water – add more if required
for the inner filling of patholi
- 2 cups fresh grated coconut
- 1.5 to 2 cups powdered jaggery – adjust according to your taste
- 1 teaspoon cardamom powder or crushed cardamom
- 1 to 2 pinch of grated nutmeg
- choice of dry fruits (optional)
preparing the batter for the outer cover
- Mix the rice flour, salt and water to a thick batter
- Keep aside for 30 minutes.
preparing the filling
- Mix all the ingredients for the filling and keep aside.
- Take the turmeric leaves and rinse them in water.
- Wipe each leaf with a kitchen towel.
- Press the middle vein of the leaf with a pestle or just slice it thinly with a knife without breaking the leaf.
- Cut the base stalk of the leaf.
- Spread the rice flour batter evenly on the leaf.
- Add the filling in the center of the leaf.
- Now fold the leaf gently horizontally or vertically.
- Press the edges.
- Steam the patholi on medium flame for about 10-12 minutes or till done.
- When warm, remove the cooked turmeric leaves.
- And serve patholi with some milk or ghee.
- These can also be had plain.