This veg frankie recipe is one of the most loved food. Whole wheat roti or chapati is layered with spiced mashed potato rolls, green chutney , chopped onions, pickled green chilies, and frankie masala. This easy Indian frankie roll is one of the TASTIEST ways to enjoy Bombay (Mumbai) street food.
- 2 Green chilies sliced into rounds
- 2 tablespoons Vinegar
- ¼ cup Red onion finely chopped
- ¼ cup green coriander chutney
- 2-3 tablespoons Oil for frying chapati and potato roll
For frankie masala:
- 2 teaspoons Red chili powder
- 2 teaspoons Coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoons Roasted cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon Black pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon Black salt (Kala namak)
- 2 teaspoon Amchur powder (dried mango powder)
For frankie dough:
- ½ cup All purpose flour (Maida)
- ½ cup Whole wheat flour (Chapati atta)
- Salt to taste
- 1 ½ teaspoon Oil
- Little more than ⅓ cup Water to knead the dough
- 1 tablespoons Oil
- ¼ inch Ginger
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 Green chili Crush ginger, garlic, green chili together into a coarse paste
- 1 tablespoons Frankie masala
- ½ teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1 ½ cups Potatoes boiled, peeled and mashed
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons Cilantro or coriander leaves finely chopped
- To make pickled green chili topping, combine sliced chilies and vinegar in a bowl. Keep it aside till needed.
- Boil the potatoes or stove-top pressure cooker. Once cool to touch, peel the skin and mash them using a potato masher.
- Also, chop the onions and keep them ready.
- Make coriander chutney at home or buy it from the Indian grocery store.
- Take all the spices mentioned under frankie masala and mix in a bowl.
Making Frankie dough and roti
- Take all purpose flour, wheat flour and salt in a bowl. Mix well.
- Add oil and mix with your fingertips. Then start adding little water at a time and keep kneading till you get a soft, smooth dough. Cover it and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- After the resting time, keand the dough again to smooth out. Then divide into 4 equal portions. Make smooth balls and flatten it between your palm.
- Work with one flattened disc at a time and roll into 9-10 inch diameter circle. While rolling if it is sticking then you can use the dry flour.
- Once you have few roti rolled up and ready, heat the pan/skillet on medium heat. Once hot place rolled roti. Once you see a few bubbles on top then flip and cook another side. We are partially cooking the rotis. We’ll do the rest of the cooking at the time of assembling.
- Remove it to a plate and cook rest of them similarly. Stack the cooked rotis and keep them covered.
Making frankie stuffing:
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add crushed ginger-garlic-green chili paste. Saute for 30-40 seconds or till the raw smell of ginger garlic goes away.
- Then add frankie masala and red chili powder. Lower the heat so spices do not burn.
- Mix and cook for 10-20 seconds only. mmediately add boiled mashed potatoes, mix well.
- Turn off the stove and mix in chopped cilantro.
- Once it is cool to touch, divide it into 4 equal portions and shape into a cylindrical log
Making veg frankie recipe:
- Heat the pan on medium heat. Add a generous amount of oil and fry the potato rolls from all the sides till they get golden brown in color. Remove it to a plate.
- Now add a teaspoon of oil and place the partially cooked roti and cook the bottom side. Apply oil and topside, flip and cook another side.
- Place the cooked roti on a work surface.
- Spread the green chutney and sprinkle frankie masala.
- The place potato roll on one side, sprinkle chopped onions on top.
- Then add a few pickled green chilies.
- Then start rolling it from the potato roll side, and halfway through close the one side (bottom side). In short, make a roll by keeping the one side open and another bottom side closed.