9 August, 2020
Sweet Potato Sabzi RecipePosted in : Veg/Non Veg on by : Simmi Iyer
The ingredients used here are allowed during Navratri vrat, ekadashi or any other religious fast. So this sweet potato sabzi can be consumed. We still do eat this during any fast we have at home.
At home I make this very often. I also serve a bowl of curd on side .This meal will appear in my home once in two weeks.
- 1 tablespoon Oil ** If making during vrat or upvas please use peanut oil or ghee.
- ½ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon Sesame seeds
- 3-4 Cashew nuts chopped, optional
- 2 small Green chili chopped finely
- 200 grams or 1 ½ cups Sweet potatoes cut into cubes
- Salt to taste ** If making during vrat or upvas, please use rock salt aka sendha namak
- 1 tablespoon Peanuts crushed
- 1 tablespoon Desiccated coconut
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Cilantro or coriander leaves chopped finely
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
- Then add sesame seeds and cashew nuts. Saute for a minute or so or till cashews get light brown color.
- Now add chopped green chilies and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add sweet potato and salt. Mix well.
- Cover it with lid or plate which has around half inch of rim. Add glassful of water in it. Let the sweet potato cook. Do stir once or twice in between.
- Cook till sweet potatoes are soft and tender. Check by inserting knife or fork, if should go in easily without any effort. It took me around 10-12 minutes.
- Now add crushed peanuts and desiccated coconut.
- Mix well and cook for a minute.
- Now add lemon juice and turn off the stove.
- Sprinkle chopped coriander leaves and mix.