This is authentic Sindhi breakfast dish. Here pakwan is similar to crispy, fried puri or papdi. While the dal is made from chana dal with very minimal spices. The dal is topped with green chutney, tamarind date chutney and chopped onion. It is served with crisp pakwan.
For pakwan recipe:
- 1 ½ cups All purpose flour (Maida)
- ½ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon Oil + more for frying
- Salt to taste
- ⅓ to ½ cup Water , to knead the dough
For making dal:
- 1 cup Chana dal (Split bengal gram)
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 2 cups Water , for pressure cooking
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon Black pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Tamarind paste
- 2 tablespoons Cilantro or coriander leaves finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 2 Green chilies chopped finely
For serving dal pakwan:
- ½ cup green coriander chutney
- ½ cup meethi chutney, tamarind date chutney
- 1 cup Red onion finely chopped
Making pakwan recipe:
- To make the dough, take all purpose flour in a bowl. Add salt and cumin seeds.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon of oil. Mix thoroughly using your fingertips.
- Now start adding little water at a time and knead into stiff yet smooth dough.
- Cover it and let it rest for 15-20 minutes.
- After the resting time, knead the dough once again few times to make it smooth.
- Divide it into 14 equal portions. Make smooth balls and flatten them between your palm one by one.
- Work with one disc at a time and roll into 5 inch diameter circle.
- Using fork start pricking it all over. This will prevent it from puffing.
- Roll all of them same way and lay them on the plate. Keep the plate covered.
- When about to finish rolling task, heat the oil for deep frying on medium heat.
- Once hot slide one rolled pakwan into hot oil. Immediately it will float on top.
- Once it gets light golden brown color, flip and fry the other side.
- Once it is crispy and golden brown from both sides, remove it using slotted spatula and put on a paper towel lined plate. Similarly fry all of them.
Making chana dal recipe:
- Wash the chana dal under running cold water till water runs clear.
- Then soak them in enough water for 30 minutes.
- Then discard the soaking water. Take soaked dal into pressure cooker and add turmeric powder and 2 cups of water.
- Cover the cooker with lid and put the weight on. Pressure cook it for 4-5 whistles on medium heat. Dal should be cooked, soft but not mushy.
- Add salt, black pepper powder, red chili powder and tamarind paste.
- Mix well and turn the heat back on medium. Let it simmer for 5-6 minutes.
- While it is simmering heat the oil in a small pan for tempering. Once hot add cumin seeds, let them sizzle a bit.
- Then add chopped green chilies and saute for few seconds.
- Immediately add it to simmering dal. Mix well. Turn off the stove.
- Lastly add chopped coriander leaves and stir to combine.
Serving dal pakwan recipe:
- Remove the warm/hot chana dal into individual serving bowl.
- Drizzle green coriander chutney and tamarind date chutney on top.
- Lastly sprinkle chopped onions.
- Serve fried pakwan on side. Break the pakwan and scoop the dal in it, enjoy!!