Bengali Begun Bhaja or Baingan Bhaja is a dish prepared out of thick slices of the eggplant marinated in spices and coated with rice flour and deep-fried. It goes perfectly with rice and dal and even phulka.
t is a fav Indian (Bengali) tea time snack and can be made using a variety of vegetables like potatoes, cauliflower, onion, eggplant, etc.
- 1 Eggplant / Baingan (Large one)
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Sugar
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup Rice Flour
- Mustard Oil for frying
- Wash the eggplant and wipe it dry with a kitchen towel.
- Cut into 1 cm thick slices.
- Mix turmeric powder, red chilli powder, sugar, salt and rice powder in a plate.
- Apply this mixture all over the eggplant slices.
- Heat mustard oil in a pan.
- Shallow fry in hot oil on high heat until golden brown from both the sides.
- Serve immediately.