Paneer Bhurji is a popular and delicious North Indian breakfast recipe made from crumbled paneer (Indian Cottage Cheese). This Paneer Bhurji Recipe is Punjabi Style and way it is made in my home.
In this quick and simple vegetarian recipe, the crumbled homemade paneer (cottage cheese) is added to sautéed onions, tomatoes and spices for a satisfying hot breakfast dish.
- 3 tablespoons oil or ghee, butter or white butter
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ cup finely chopped onions or 1 medium sized onion
- 3 to 4 small garlic cloves + 1 inch ginger made to a paste in mortar-pestle or 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1 or 2 green chillies – finely chopped or slit
- 1 cup finely chopped tomatoes (tightly packed) or 2 medium sized to large tomatoes
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (ground turmeric)
- ½ teaspoon red chilli powder or ¼ to ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 200 to 250 grams paneer (cottage cheese)
- salt as required
- 3 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves (cilantro)
- Crumble the paneer (cottage cheese) and keep aside
- Finely Chop the onions, tomatoes and green chillies. Keep aside.
- Crush the ginger and garlic to a paste in a mortar pestle and keep aside.
- Also remove the spice powders and keep aside.
Making Paneer Bhurji
- Heat oil or ghee or butter in a pan. Let the oil become hot on a medium-low or medium flame.
- Add cumin seeds. Let them crackle and change color. Once they get browned, add onions.
- Mix well and sauté the onions. When the onions become translucent, add ginger-garlic paste and chopped green chilies.
- Sauté for some seconds till the raw aroma of the ginger-garlic goes away.
- Then add tomatoes and sauté on medium-low heat till they become soft. You can add a pinch of salt so that the tomatoes get cooked faster.
- Now add all the dry spice powders – turmeric, red chili powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder.
- Mix the spice powders very well and sauté for 5 to 6 seconds.
- Then, add the crumbled paneer. Mix thoroughly and cook for 1 minute.
- Don’t cook the paneer for a long time as they harden and loose their softness.
- Lastly add the chopped coriander leaves and mix.
- Serve Paneer Bhurji hot with bread toast. You can also serve it with roti, plain paratha or as a stuffing in burrito or wraps