12 August, 2020
Rajma Masala – Punjabi StylePosted in : Veg/Non Veg on by : Simmi Iyer
Punjabi Rajma Masala (Red Kidney Beans Curry) is a much loved spicy curry in most Indian Households and it goes very well with rice, chapati, or any Indian bread. Here is how to make this curry in a traditional Punjabi style at home.
- 1 cup Rajma
- 4 tbsp Mustard Oil
- 1 and 1/2 cup Onion (Finely Chopped)
- 2 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 3/4 cup Tomato (Finely Chopped)
- 3 tbsp Tomato Puree
- 3 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Roasted Cumin Powder
- 2 tsp Amchoor Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp Fresh Coriander (Chopped)
- Wash the rajma and soak in enough water for 5-6 hours.
- Drain the water.
- Add the soaked rajma is a pressure cooker with 2 tsp of salt and 3 cups of water.
- Cook till rajma is soft and cooked.
- Remove the pressure cooker from heat and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- When the oil is hot, add onion and fry till translucent.
- Add Ginger Garlic paste and fry till onion is golden brown.
- Add chopped tomato and tomato puree and cook for a minute.
- Now add coriander powder, turmeric powder, Kashmiri red chili powder, roasted cumin powder, amchoor powder and garam masala powder and fry for a few seconds.
- Add 1/2 cup water and cook the masala till oil separates on the side of the pan.
- Add the cooked rajma along with the water and cook on low heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Slightly press a few rajmas with the back of a ladle.
- Add more water and salt if required.
- Garnish with Fresh Coriander.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.