12 August, 2020
Vegan black bean burgerPosted in : Snacks/Breakfast on by : Simmi Iyer
With a full-on flavor and meaty texture, suitable for the grill, this fully loaded vegan burger is an absolute must at any barbecue
- olive oil
- black beans 400g tin, rinsed and drained well
- cooked brown rice 100g from a pouch
- onion 1, finely chopped or grated
- fennel seeds 1 tsp, crushed
- garlic salt ½ tsp
- smoked paprika 1 tsp
- breadcrumbs 25g
- flat-leaf parsley finely chopped to make 1 tbsp
- red wine vinegar 2 tbsp
- golden caster sugar 2 tsp
- red onion 1, finely sliced
- silken tofu 100g
- cider vinegar 1 tsp
- lemon juice 1 tsp
- English mustard powder a pinch
- chipotle paste 1 tsp
- avocado 1, peeled and stoned
- red onion 1/2 small, finely chopped
- red chilli 1/2, finely chopped
- coriander chopped to make 1 tbsp
- lime 1/2, juiced
- vegan or regular buns 4, halved
- curly lettuce leaves
- beef tomato slices
- STEP 1. For the pickled onions, mix the vinegar and sugar with a pinch of salt until the sugar dissolves. Add the onion, cover and leave to pickle. To make the chipotle ‘mayo’, put all of the ingredients into a small bender (or use a stick blender) with a pinch of sugar and whizz until very smooth. Add 2 tbsp olive oil, whizz again until it looks like mayonnaise. Season, tip into a bowl, cover and chill.
- STEP 2. Mash the avocado with a fork, then stir in the onion, chilli, and coriander. Season and stir in the lime juice, then chill.
- STEP 3. To make the burgers, tip all the ingredients into a blender and pulse until combined. Divide into 4 and shape into burger patties. Put onto an oiled baking sheet or plate and chill until you need them, at least 30 minutes.
- STEP 4. Heat the barbecue or a griddle pan to high. Brush the burger patties with a little olive oil, then put onto the grill. Cook for 3 minutes then flip, and cook for 3 minutes more. Don’t keep moving the burgers or they will be more likely to break up, and you want a good crust on them.
- STEP 5. Lightly char the burger buns on the grill, then spoon in a dollop of the ‘mayo’ to the base. Add a few lettuce leaves. Top with a burger, then add a spoon of guacamole, and a few drained picked onions. Add another spoon of mayo to top, some tomato slices, and sandwich on top. Secure with a skewer if you need to. Serve with mustard or ketchup, if you don’t have your full fix of sauces and toppings!