- 1.5 cups levelled whole wheat flour or 180 grams
- 1.5 teaspoons levelled baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg powder – optional
- ½ teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk or 400 grams
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup milk – chilled or at room temperature
- ¼ cup sunflower oil – use neutral tasting oil or olive oil
- 1 cup finely grated carrots or 190 to 200 grams carrots or 1 large delhi red carrot
- Rinse, peel and finely grate the carrot.
- Grease a loaf pan very well with oil. Also preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius for 15 minutes.
Sifting Dry Ingredients For Cake Batter
- In a sieve, take all the dry ingredients mentioned above.
- Sift and keep aside.
Mixing Liquid Ingredients
- In another bowl pour sweetened condensed milk. For a more sweet cake you can add 1 to 2 tablespoons sugar.
- Add vanilla extract, sunflower oil and milk.
- With a wired whisk begin to stir and mix the wet ingredients briskly for 1 to 2 minutes to a smooth mixture.
- Now add the grated carrots to the mixed liquid ingredients. mix again well.
Making Carrot Cake Batter
- Pour the liquid ingredients in the sifted dry ingredients.
- With a spatula using cut and fold technique, fold the dry ingredients in the wet ingredients.
- Use light pressure from hand and fold well. Also do note, not to over do the folding. The batter should have volume and should not fall flat or become dense and thick. It should have a pouring consistency.
- Pour the cake batter in the prepared pan.
- Gently shake and tap the pan so that the cake batter spreads evenly in the pan.
Baking Carrot Cake
- Place loaf pan on the center rack in the preheated oven. Bake at 180 degrees celsius for 50 minutes to 1 hour. If using an otg then heat only the bottom heating element. Since temperatures vary from oven to oven, the time taken will be less or more than what is mentioned here.
- After 30 to 45 minutes, cover the top of the pan with an aluminium foil. Since condensed milk is used, this cake gets browned from top too fast.
- Continue to bake till the cake is done and a wooden skewer comes out clean.
- Place the cake pan on a wired rack to cool.
- Once the cake becomes warm or cools down, then with a butter knife loosen the edges. Invert the cake on a chopping board.
- Then slice the cake and serve. Leftover cake can be easily refrigerated.
- Serve carrot cake as tea time sweet or as a dessert