16 August, 2020
Hash BrownsPosted in : Veg/Non Veg on by : Simmi Iyer
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled
- 1 medium onion
- 1 egg, beaten
- salt and pepper
- vegetable oil for frying
- Coarsely grate the potatoes and onion into a clean tea towel and then squeeze out the excess liquid by twisting the towel. Place the mix in a large bowl.
- Add the egg, a good couple of pinches of salt and freshly ground black pepper (you need to salt the mixture well otherwise the hash browns can be quite bland). Mix the ingredients well.
- Heat a good glug of oil in a heavy based frying pan and when the oil is hot (but not smoking), add spoonfuls of the potato mixture into the pan and flatten into patties about 1cm/½in thick. Flip over once browned and crispy – about 2–3 minutes each side.
- Serve hot as a breakfast or supper side dish. Especially good with bacon and eggs.