This vegetarian low-calorie chickpea curry makes a wonderful, easy after-work meal, and is ready in less than 20 minutes. It’s also vegan if you leave out the egg.
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 1 tbsp light olive oil
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp medium curry powder, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 400g tin chopped ginger
- 400g tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 100ml/3½fl oz boiling water
- 180g baby leaf spinach
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander , to garnish
- Bring a small saucepan of water to the boil and cook the eggs for 6–8 minutes, or until done to your liking. When cool enough to handle, shell, halve and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a wide frying pan over a low heat. Add the cumin, black mustard seeds, curry powder, garlic granules and ground ginger and stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, chickpeas, lemon juice and boiling water and season with salt and pepper. Cook over a high heat for 6–8 minutes, or until reduced and thickened, stirring often. Add the spinach and cook until wilted.
- Divide the curry between two shallow bowls, top each with two egg halves and sprinkle over some curry powder. Scatter with coriander and serve immediately.