Khichdi is a dish which we have been eating from childhood. The child is fed khichdi despite not having the teeth. Its smashed and has loads of proteins to it. There is ghee adds lot off taste to it.
When you are unwell or just not in any mood to make any heavy dinner or lunch, khichdi does the filling of your stomach. You can eat with papad, pickle. these are great combos with kichdi
Simple dish with some nice flavors to it
- ½ cup moong dal (split and husked mung lentils)
- ½ cup rice – you can add any rice, regular short or medium grained rice or even basmati
- 1 small to medium sized onion – finely chopped
- 1 medium sized tomato – chopped
- ½ inch ginger – finely chopped or grated
- 1 small green mirch – chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 3.5 cups water – for a more thin consistency, add 4 to 4.5 cups water
- 1.5 tablespoon oil or ghee (clarified butter)
- salt as required
- Rinse and wash moong lentils and rice together.
- Soak both of them for 30 minutes in water.
- Heat 2 tbsp ghee or oil in pressure cooker. Add cumin. When cumin splutters then add onions.
- Saute onions till translucent. No need to make onions light brown or golden brown.
- Once the onions become translucent, then add tomatoes, green chilli and ginger.
- Stir and add turmeric powder and asafoetida. Saute till the tomatoes softens.
- Drain the rice and moong lentils and add them to the pressure cooker.
- Stir for a minute. Pour with water and season with salt.
- Close the lid tightly and pressure cook on a high flame for 6-7 whistles.
- If it becomes too thick, then add some water and stir well.
- Keep on sim or low flame to simmer till you get the right consistency.
- The consistency of khichdi can be adjusted as per your choice by adding less or more water. Some people prefer thick and some thin consistency.
- Once it is cooked then top it with ghee while serving. Optional step.
- Serve moong dal khichdi hot with curd (yogurt) and accompanying salad.