20 August, 2020
Filter CoffeePosted in : Beverages/Juices/Milkshakes on by : Simmi Iyer
- 3 teaspoons ground coffee
- 1 cup water
- ¾ cup whole or full fat milk or add as required
- 2 teaspoons sugar for each glass or mug or add as required
Making Coffee Decoction
- Take the coffee filter. Fit the top vessel on the lower one. Now take 3 teaspoons ground coffee and place it in the vessel with the perforations.
- Gently spread and even out the coffee powder with your fingers or with a small spoon.
- Place the pressing disc with the handle on the coffee powder.
- Heat 1 cup water in a sauce pan and let it come to a boil.
- When the water comes to a boil, gently pour the water in the top vessel, till its 3/4 or almost full.
- Cover with the lid. Wait for 10 to 12 minutes till the coffee decoction percolates in the lower vessel.
Making Filter Coffee
- When all of the coffee is brewed, then heat 3/4 cup full fat or whole milk till it becomes hot and boils.
- Now take a tumbler (glass) and add 2 teaspoons sugar in it.
- Add 1/4 to 1/3 cup hot boiling milk directly in the tumbler (glass) while straining it. I strain milk, so as to avoid the malai that comes with the boiling milk. If you like malai, then you can add milk without straining it. You can add less or more milk as per your preference.
- Now pour 1/4 cup or 1/3 cup of the brewed coffee. You can add less or more or as much as you like.
Serving Filter Coffee
- Now take dabarah or davara. This is a small pan shaped vessel that is used to cool the coffee. The coffee is poured back and forth from the tumbler to the davara and so on. Thus the sugar dissolves and a top layer of foam forms on the coffee. Pour the coffee from the tumbler from a height in the davara.
- Now pour the coffee from the davara back in the tumbler.
- Repeat again pouring coffee in the davara from the tumbler and vice versa. You can do this process 2 to 3 times. Don’t do too much as then the coffee becomes cold. You can even skip this step if you want.
- Serve filter coffee hot. It needs to be served immediately as soon as its made