The soft texture of stuffed brinjal marinated in spices and herbs in this Traditional Maharashtrian Bharli Vangi is a delicacy that one can’t get over.
In this Maharashtrian dish, eggplant is stuffed with spicy masala and then cooked until perfection. Here is how to make it.
- 500 g Brinjal
- 1/4 cup Peanuts (Roasted)
- 1/2 cup Fresh Coconut (Grated)
- 1 tsp Jaggery (Crushed)
- 2 tbsp Goda Masala
- 2 tsp Tamarind Paste
- 2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 2 Green Chillies
- 1 inch Ginger (Chopped)
- 1/2 cup Onion (Chopped)
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp Fresh Coriander (Chopped)
- 4 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Hing
- 10-12 Curry Leaves
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- Wash the brinjal and slit them into 4 keeping the end intact.
- Soak them in water and keep aside.
- Add peanuts, coconut, jaggery, good masala, tamarind paste, red chilli powder, green chillies, ginger and onion in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Use very little water to make the paste.
- Add salt, fresh coriander in the masala paste and mix well.
- Stuff this mixture in the brinjals.
- Keep the remaining mixture aside.
- Heat vegetable oil in a pan.
- Once the oil is hot, add mustard seeds, hing and curry leaves and fry for a few seconds.
- Add the stuffed brinjal and fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Mix the remaining masala with 1 cup water and add it in the pan.
- Cover and cook on low heat until brinjal are cooked.
- Garnish with fresh coriander.
- Serve hot.