- 12 to 15 Prawns, shelled and deveined Add salt and set aside.
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1 Tomato chopped
- 1 Potato cut into quarters
- 2 tbsp Oil for cooking
For the Frithad Masala (to be blended into a fine paste)
- ½ cup Fresh coconut
- 1 tbsp Coriander seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Poppy seeds/Khuskhus
- 1 tsp Sesame seeds/Til
- 8 Red Chillies
- 7 to 8 Garlic flakes
- Whole spices Cinnamom 1-inch, cloves 3 to 4, cardamom -3
- Tamarind, a small ball
- Heat oil in a pan and saute the onion till translucent.
- Add the tomato and fry till it softens
- Now add the Frithad masala paste and fry for 2 to 3 minutes on a medium flame.
- Put in the potato cubes and add 1 cup water. Cover and cook till the the potato is tender.
- When the potato is cooked add in the prawns. Add little more water, if required. Cover and cook again for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Switch off the flame and garnish with coriander leaves
- Prawn Frithad curry is ready to be served with rice or Rotis.
- Add sufficient water to adjust the gravy.
- Check for salt and add more if required.
- You could also use coconut milk instead of fresh coconut.
- Increase the number of prawns or potatoes to suit your requirement.