If you want to make the vegetarian version of this curry in a slow cooker, firstly cook off the onions with the dry spices in a frying pan for 5-6 mins. Add the chilli, garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute, then tip into your slow cooker. Throw in the vegetables and 400ml stock, cover and cook on Low for 4 hours until the potatoes are tender. Stir in the peas, yogurt and ground almonds with seasoning, stand for 5 minutes then serve as above.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cardamom pods , bashed
- 2 tsp ground cumin and coriander
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 1 green chillie, deseeded (if desired) and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- , finely chopped
- 800g mixed vegetable , such as carrots, cauliflower, potato and courgette, chopped
- 300-500ml hot vegetable stock
- 200g frozen peas
- 200ml yogurt
- 2 tbsp ground almonds(optional)
- tasted flaked almonds, , chopped coriander, basmati rice or naan bread
- STEP 1.Heat the oil in a large pan. Cook onion with the dry spices over a low heat for 5-6 mins until the onion is light golden. Add the chilli, garlic and ginger and cook for 1 min, then throw in the mixed vegetables and cook for a further 5 mins.
- STEP 2.Divide the mixture appropriately between two pans if serving vegetarians. Add the stock, dividing between the pans appropriately, and simmer for 10 mins (if only cooking the veggie version in one pan, use 300ml stock; if dividing between two pans, add 250ml to each). Divide the peas, if necessary, and add, cooking for 3 mins more until the veg are tender
- STEP 3.Remove from the heat and stir through the yogurt and ground almonds, if using. Serve sprinkled with the toasted almonds and coriander, with basmati rice or naan bread on the side.