22 August, 2020
Mangalorean Fish CurryPosted in : Fish/Seafood on by : Simmi Iyer
Mangalorean fish curry is a popular non-vegetarian recipe made from fish. The recipe is native to Karnataka and is popularly relished as main course in that region.
It is a curry made from fish and spiced with aromatic condiments and common spices. This Indian recipe is easy to make and you can learn how to make it at home with our quick recipe guide.
The fish is smeared and boiled in the coconut milk just like any other tropical fish curry recipe. Curry leaves can be used for garnishing and enhancing the taste of the dish further. It is best accompanied with rice.
- 1 – onion
- 4 – green chillies
- 1 can – coconut milk
- 2 tbsp – oil
- 1 cup – water
- 2 tbsp – coriander powder
- 1 tbsp – red chilli powder
- 1/2 cup – tamarind
- 1 tbsp – turmeric powder
- 1/2 cup – water
- 7 – curry leaves (optional)
- Salt to taste
How to Make Mangalorean Fish Curry
- Clean the fish by smearing it with salt and turmeric and washing well with water. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed pan and saute the onions and chillies on medium heat till the onions are golden brown.
- Add red chilli powder, coriander and turmeric powder. Fry it briefly.
- Extract tamarind juice and add to the above mix.
- After a while add coconut milk and water. Bring to a boil.
- Add the fish, curry leaves and salt. Mix very gently and simmer on low heat till the fish is cooked.