22 August, 2020
Shahi paneer (paneer in creamy cashew and tomato curry)Posted in : Veg/Non Veg on by : Simmi Iyer
- cashew nuts 2 tbsp
- onion 1 small, roughly chopped
- green chilli 1, roughly chopped
- ginger a walnut-sized piece, roughy chopped
- garlic 2 cloves, roughly chopped
- oil 2 tbsp
- cardamom 5 pods, bashed
- cloves 3, crushed
- cinnamon ½ stick
- chopped tomatoes 200g from a tin
- hot chilli powder ½ tsp
- ground coriander 1 tsp
- ground fenugreek ½ tsp
- paneer 50g pack, cut into cubes
- coriander a handful, chopped
- double cream 4 tbsp
- naan bread or rice to serve
- STEP 1.Put the cashew nuts in a small bowl and pour over 150ml boiling water. Leave for 15 minutes to soak and soften.
- STEP 2.Put the onion, chilli, ginger, garlic and a splash of water in a small food processor and whizz to a purée.
- STEP 3. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan and cook the onion purée for 7-10 minutes or until it starts to dry out and turn lightly golden. Add the cardamom, cloves and cinnamon.
- STEP 4.Whizz the tomatoes in the same blender (no need to wash it) then add to the pan. Add the chilli powder, ground coriander and fenugreek. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- STEP 5..Whizz the cashews and soaking water in the same blender, then add to the pan. Cover and simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- STEP 6.Fry the paneer in a separate pan with lots of seasoning and the remaining tbsp of oil, until golden, then add to the sauce with 100ml of water and simmer gently for 10 minutes. Stir in the coriander and cream just before serving with naan bread or rice