26 August, 2020
Zucchini CasserolePosted in : Veg/Non Veg on by : Simmi Iyer
This simple casserole is a delicious way to take advantage of your prolific zucchini and summer squash. Plus, it is relatively light because it doesn’t have the heavy sauce most casseroles contain. It’s a combination of the two kinds of summer squash—yellow and zucchini—with garlic, butter, breadcrumbs, and grated Parmesan cheese. This easy squash bake is an excellent side dish for a summer cookout or everyday dinner.
- 3 small zucchini (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 3 small summer squash (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt (or 1/2 teaspoon table salt)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chicken broth or water
- 1 clove garlic (finely minced)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons fine dry breadcrumbs (or 1/2 cup finely ground fresh breadcrumbs)
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
Steps to Make It
- Gather the ingredients.
- Heat oven to 350 F. Butter a 2- to 2 1/2-quart baking dish.
- Wash the squash and then trim and discard the ends. Quarter the squash lengthwise and then cut them into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Transfer the squash pieces to the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the squash with the 3/4 teaspoon of kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper.
- Combine the chicken broth with the minced garlic and pour over the squash.
- Cut the butter into small pieces. Dot the casserole with the butter and then sprinkle with the breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese.
- Cover the baking dish tightly with foil and bake for 35 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for about 15 to 20 minutes longer, until the topping has browned and the squash is fork-tender.