28 August, 2020
Cholar Dal Bengali StylePosted in : Veg/Non Veg on by : Simmi Iyer
This spicy goodness is packed with nutrition as chana is high in fibre and protein.
It takes hardly any time to prepare and makes for a simple yet satisfying lunch.
This Bengali chana dal recipe is a saviour when you need to rush to the office but want to carry home-cooked food.
It is traditionally served with Bengali style poori called Luchi but you can also prepare this and combine it with Bajre ki Roti for a healthy, nutritious yet oh-so-delicious ‘Dabba’.
This dal also goes very well with steamed rice.
- 1 cup Chana Dal
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- Salt to taste
- 3 tbsp Ghee
- 1/4 cup Fresh Coconut (Thinly Sliced)
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Hing
- 4-5 Dry Red Chillies
- 3-4 Cloves
- 1 inch Cinnamon
- 2-3 Green Cardamom
- 2 Bay Leaf
- 1 tsp Ginger (Grated)
- 1 tsp Green Chilli (Chopped)
- 2 tbsp Raisins
- 1 tsp Sugar
- Wash the dal and add it in a pressure cooker along with 3 cups of water, turmeric powder and salt.
- Pressure cook just until done.
- The dal should not be mushy.
- Heat ghee for tempering in a pan.
- Add coconut slices and fry until golden brown.
- Remove the slices in a plate.
- In the same ghee, add cumin seeds and hing and let them crackle for a few seconds.
- Add dry red chillies, cloves, cinnamon, green cardamom and bay leaf and fry for a few seconds.
- Add ginger and green chilli and fry for another few seconds.
- Pour the tempering over the dal along with raisins, fried coconut and sugar.
- Mix well.
- Serve hot.