Dal Tadka is one of the most popular recipes served in Indian restaurants. A mix of moong dal and arhar dal, this is a flavourful lentil preparation from Punjab. Here is how to make it.
- 1/2 cup Arhar Dal
- 1/2 cup Moong Dal
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- 1/2 cup Onion (Chopped)
- 1 tsp Ginger (Chopped)
- 1 tsp Garlic (Chopped)
- 1 tsp Green Chilli (Chopped)
- 1/2 cup Tomato (Chopped)
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/4 tsp SSP Hing
- 2-3 Dry Red Chillies
- 2 tsp Garlic (Chopped)
- 2 tbsp Fresh Coriander (Chopped)
- Wash the dal and add it in a pressure cooker along with 3 cups of water and salt to taste.
- Pressure cook until dal is nicely cooked.
- Remove the pressure cooker from heat and let the pressure release. Mash the dal using the back of a ladle.
- Heat ghee in a pan.
- Once the ghee is hot, add onion and fry until slightly browned.
- Add ginger and garlic and fry for a minute.
- Add green chilli and tomato and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Now add turmeric powder and red chilli powder and the cooked dal.
- Adjust the amount of water and salt and bring the dal to a boil.
- Simmer the heat and let the dal cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and mix well.
- For tempering, heat ghee in a pan.
- Once the ghee is hot, add cumin seeds and heeng.
- Let them crackle for a few seconds.
- Add Dry red chillies and garlic and fry until garlic turns brown.
- Pour the tempering over the dal.
- Garnish with fresh coriander.
- Serve hot.