1 September, 2020
Stuffed KarelaPosted in : Veg/Non Veg on by : Simmi Iyer
- 8 Karela (Bitter Gourd/ Pavakkai)
- Sunflower Oil , coconut oil or mustard oil as required (maximum 3 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon Amchur (Dry Mango Powder)
- Salt , to taste
- 1 Onion , (red or white)
- 1 Tomato
- 1/4 cup Mango (Raw) , chopped
- 1 Green Chilli
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 1 inch Ginger , peeled
- 1/2 inch Fresh turmeric root , or 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 10 Raw Peanuts
- 2 teaspoons Coriander (Dhania) Seeds
- 2 Dry Red Chillies
- Tamarind , marble sized
- 1/2 cup Fresh coconut , grated
How to make Healthy Bharwa Karela Recipe – Stuffed Bitter Gourd
- To begin making Healthy Bharwa Karela Recipe (Indian Masala Stuffed Bitter Gourd), scrape the outer skin of the bitter gourds and make a deep vertical cut in the center leaving the base portion intact. Gently scoop out the seeds and the pith and set it aside.
- Rub the bitter gourds with salt, inside out.
- Mix about 1/2 teaspoon of salt to the pith and seeds and allow it to rest for at least half an hour. Squeeze excess water and wash and drain them. Pat the bitter gourds with a kitchen towel.
- In the meantime, grind all the ingredients given under ‘Ground Masala’ in a mixer grinder including onion, tomato, raw mango, green chilli, garlic, ginger and fresh turmeric root.
- Heat a pan and gently roast the ingredients given under the ‘dry masala’ except coconut including raw peanuts, coriander seeds, dry red chillies and tamarind.
- Once it is done, grind them coarsely with coconut. Keep it aside.
- Heat a pan/ kadai over a low flame with a little oil. When the oil heats up add the ground tomato onion masala and the pith of karela.
- Mix dry (roasted) masala, kashmiri red chili powder, amchur powder and garam masala. Add salt as required. Adjust spices.
- Allow it to cook for 8-10 minutes or till the time the excess water is absorbed and looks cooked, switch off.
- Spoon the masala into each processed bitter gourd/Karela.
- Heat a side pan with 1-2 tablespoons of oil.
- Gently place the stuffed bitter gourds in the pan and shallow fry them till all the sides are uniformly browned. You can keep the lid closed often to have them cooked evenly.
- Delicious Healthy Bharwa Karela (Indian Masala Stuffed Bitter Gourd) is now all set to be served.