Spinach Yogurt Raita
Palak Raita is a refreshing vitamin, mineral and protein-packed yogurt dip made from fresh spinach and yogurt, tempered with cumin. This is one of my family favourites and we love to serve the Palak Raita, as a salad or along with Parathas or as a side dish along with a main course meal.
- 2 cups curd/Yogurt
- 2 cups Spinach Leaves (Palak) , finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon Red Chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin powder (Jeera) , roasted
- 1/2 teaspoon Sugar , optional
- 1/2 teaspoon Whole Black Peppercorns , coarsely pounded
- Salt , to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Sunflower Oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon White Urad Dal (Split)
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
How to make Palak Raita Recipe (Spinach Yogurt Salad)
- To begin making the Spinach Raita (Pachadi), heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan,add the cumin seeds and allow it to crackle. Add chopped spinach and sauté on high heat until tender and most of the water is evaporated.
- Set aside and allow the spinach to cool completely.
- Whisk together the yogurt, cumin powder, red chilli powder, black pepper and salt. Fold in the cooled spinach mixture into the whisked yogurt. Transfer to a serving dish and refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.
- The final step is the make the seasoning, you can use either one of the ingredients in the seasonings mentioned.
- Heat oil in a pan, add the seasoning ingredients and allow it to roast and crackle. Once it roasts and crackles, turn off the heat.
- Pour the seasoning onto the Palak Raita serve it with Parathas or as a side dish along with your main course mea