The Rava Idli Recipe is a classic South Indian breakfast dish that you can make in just 20 minutes if you have all the ingredients ready. The addition is simple spices like ginger and curry leaves, makes this dish bring out the flavors of the steamed rava idli. You can get creative and add a variety of vegetables and make the rava idli more nutritious for your family.
Serve the Rava Idli along with some south Indian chutney
- 1 cup Sooji (Semolina/ Rava)
- 1 cup curd/yogurt
- Salt , to taste
- 2 sprig Coriander (Dhania) Leaves , finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Cashew nuts , broken
- 1 Carrot (Gajjar) , grated
- 1/2 teaspoon Enos fruit salt
- 1 teaspoon Sunflower Oil
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon White Urad Dal (Split)
- 1/4 teaspoon Asafoetida (hing)
- 2 Green Chillies , finely chopped
- 1 inch Ginger , grated
- 1 sprig Curry leaves , finely chopped
How to make Classic South Indian Rava Idli Recipe
- To begin making the Classic South indian Rava Idli Recipe, prep all the ingredients and keep them ready.
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in a pan on medium flame, add mustard seeds and allow it to crackle. Add the torn curry leaves, grated ginger, green chilies and cashew nuts. Roast them for a few minutes. Add the Semolina/Rava and roast until you get a good aroma. Set aside to cool.
- Set aside the roasted rava idli mixture to cool.
- In a mixing bowl combine the roasted rava idli mixture along with the yogurt, and add just enough water to make a thick batter and keep aside to rest for 10 to 15 minutes.
- After the resting period, you will have to add a little water as the rava idli batter would have soaked up all the moisture. Add the grated carrots and enos fruit salt and whisk the rava idli batter.
- If the batter is too thick add water to make a thick batter of dropping consistency. Stir well for a couple of minutes
- Preheat an idli steamer with enough water and keep it ready.
- Grease the idli mould with oil and spoon the Rava Idli mixture into the cavities. Place it in a preheated steamer and steam for 10 minutes until done.
- When you test, the rava idli should be cooked and the tester should come out clean.
- Serve the Rava Idli along with some south Indian chutney