- 3/4 pound beef stew meat (1 to 1-1/2-inch pieces)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1-1/2 pounds potatoes (about 3 medium), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 large carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- Hot cooked brown rice, optional
- Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper; toss with flour. In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat; cook beef and onion until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Stir in curry powder, soy sauce, bay leaves and stock; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 45 minutes.
- Stir in potatoes and carrots; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until meat and vegetables are tender, 1 to 1-1/4 hours, stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaves; stir in vinegar. If desired, serve with rice.