Basundi is a traditional Indian dessert famous in Maharashtra, Gujarat, and some parts of Karnataka. It is basically thickened milk flavored with cardamom powder and saffron. It is served on its own or with puri. Here is how to make it at home.
- 1 and 1/2 litres Full Fat Milk
- 1 pinch Saffron
- 3 tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom Powder
- 1/4 tsp Rose water
- Put the milk in a heavy bottom pan and heat till it comes to a boil.
- Add saffron in the milk and mix well.
- Simmer the heat and let the milk thicken for almost 1 hour.
- Keep stirring in between.
- When the milk is reduced to 1/2, add cardamom powder, sugar and rose water.
- Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the slivered nuts.
- Chill nicely before serving.