4 October, 2020
Kokum JuicePosted in : Beverages/Juices/Milkshakes on by : Simmi Iyer
I usually avoid buying the readymade kokum juice as I find them too sweet and also white sugar is added to it. I prefer to make my own Kokum sherbet.
A few health benefits of kokum
- Kokum is one of the best natural coolants for the body.
- Kokum is excellent in reducing the pitta dosha as per ayurveda.
- Kokum juice and kokum curry helps in digestion and improves the appetite.
- Kokum is rich in vitamin c and is an anti oxidant.
- Kokum is also used to treat heat rash. On a side note I remember my mom rubbing the kokum on the heat rash which we would get as kids.
- ▢1 cup kokum fruits, chopped or dry kokums
- ▢2 cups water
- ▢2 cups sugar
- ▢5-6 cardamoms, powdered or crushed
- ▢1 teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- ▢1-2 pinch of black salt or salt (optional)
- Rinse the kokum fruits in water. (see notes below on making the sherbet from dry kokum)
- Chop the kokum fruits and remove the seeds.
- Keep the pulp and the outer cover.
- Grind the fruit and pulp with little water.
- Strain the whole kokum mixture.
- Boil the sugar and water until the syrup becomes a little thick.
- Cool the sugar syrup and then add the strained kokum mixture to it.
- Add the roasted cumin powder and powdered cardamom.
- Mix well. Store kokum juice in a jar or bottle and refrigerate.
- When serving, dissolve 1 or 2 tbsp of the kokum juice in one glass of water.
- Add ice cubes and serve chilled kokum juice