Mutter paneer is a traditional north Indian curry. The texture of fresh peas stands up well against the paneer, but frozen is fine too. This can be ready in just 30 minutes, and you won’t feel like you’re missing out, even though it’s veggie. Serve it as a side curry with some naan or rice.
- paneer 450g, cubed
- ginger 5cm piece, grated
- ground cumin ½ tsp
- turmeric 1 tsp
- ground coriander 1 tsp
- chilli powder 1 tsp
- chopped tomatoes 400g tin
- peas 200g (podded weight) fresh or frozen
- garam masala 1 tsp
- coriander a small bunch
- naan or roti or rice to serve
- STEP 1.Heat oil 1/2cm deep in a pan until it is shimmering hot and a cube of paneer will sizzle when you add it. Fry the paneer until it starts to turn brown at the edges. Don’t over do it or it will melt, and be careful as the oil will spit. Scoop the cheese out and drain it on kitchen paper.
- STEP 2.Tip out the oil and then put the pan back on the heat. Add the ginger, cumin, turmeric, ground coriander and chilli powder and fry everything for a minute until the spices sizzle. Add the tinned tomatoes, break them up with a spoon and simmer everything for 5 minutes. Add the peas and simmer for a further 5 minutes, then stir in the paneer and garam masala and season well. Serve with naan, roti or rice.