Almost any vegetable can be used to make pakora, or even paneer, but we love this version with cauliflower. Find gram (chickpea) flour in Indian grocers and larger health food shops
- cauliflower 1 small head, cut into small florets
- gram flour 200g
- garam masala 2 tsp
- chilli flakes ½ tsp
- coriander chopped to make 2 tbsp
- sunflower oil for deep frying
- cumin seeds 1 tsp
- natural yoghurt 150ml
- pomegranate ½, seeds removed
- STEP 1. Blanch the cauliflower in boiling water for 2 minutes and drain. To make the raita, heat 1 tbsp oil in a small pan. Add the cumin seeds and cook until they start to pop. Take off the heat and stir into the yoghurt. Season, then add the pomegranate seeds.
- STEP 2. Mix together the gram flour, spices and season. Add enough cold water to make a thick batter.
- STEP 3. Fill a deep pan ⅓ full with oil and heat until a cube of bread browns in 30 seconds. Coat the florets in the batter, shake off any excess then fry in batches until puffed, crisp and golden. Serve with the raita