It is an Indian frozen dessert made from whole milk, heavy cream, khoya and sugar. It is flavored with cardamom powder and chopped nuts.
t is loved by kids as well as adults. Eating kulfi is like heaven during summer though you can enjoy it any day.
The texture of the it is rich and creamy. You will feel the creaminess at the roof of your mouth while eating. Addition of nuts give some texture and bite while eating. No ice crystals are forming once it is set. It is the best achievement when it comes to homemade kulfi or ice cream.
- ▢1 litre or 4 ¼ cups Milk
- ▢⅓ cup White granulated sugar
- ▢2 tablespoons Mawa ( Khoya) (or use 4 tablespoons of full fat milk powder)
- ▢½ cup Heavy whipping cream or fresh cream or malai
- ▢¼ teaspoon Green cardamom seeds powder
- ▢4-5 Almonds sliced
- ▢4-5 Pistachios sliced
- ▢1 tablespoon Rose water
Making malai kulfi recipe:
- Take milk in a sauce pan or wide pan.
- Bring the milk to a boil on medium heat. Do stir frequently.
- Once it come to a boil, make the heat to medium-low. Let it cook with stirring occasionally till it becomes ⅓ of original volume. It took me about 35-40 minutes.
- Then add sugar and khoya or milk powder.
- Mix well and simmer till sugar and khoya is melted. It took me 5 minutes.
- Then turn OFF the stove heat.
- Add heavy whipping cream and stir well.
- Add cardamom powder and sliced almonds, pistachio. Mix well.
- Add rose water and mix.
- Let it cool completely. It will get thicker as it cools.
- Once it is cooled to room temperature, pour into moulds or popsicle molds. Alternately you can use small plastic cups or shot glass or kullad.
- Cover it with lid. Or cover with aluminum foil.
- Let it set overnight in freezer or until it is firm, frozen and set.
- Once it is set or frozen, it is time to serve.
- To remove the kulfi from the mould, dip it into warm water for 1-2 seconds only, it will come out very easily. Alternately, rub it between your palms. From the heat of the palm, side will get loose and will come out from the glass or mould.
- Garnish with some chopped nuts like pistachios or almonds.