3 November, 2020
Ada Pradhaman ( Kerala dish)Posted in : Sweet/Dessert on by : Simmi Iyer
Ada Pradhaman is a popular Kerala sweet / dessert made during Onam festival. It is a rich and traditional Kerala style payasam without which the Onam Sadya is incomplete. It is considered to be the king of desserts in Kerala and is a common dish in almost all the major festivals that happen in God’s own country.
Ingredients for Ada Pradhaman
- 1/2 cup Raw Rice
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 Coconut
- 250 gms Jaggery powdered
- Plantain Leaves as needed
- 2 tblsp Cashew Nuts
- 2 tblsp Raisins
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom Powder
- Ghee as required
How to make Ada Pradhaman
- Soak the rice for 30 to 60 minutes.
- Drain well and spread it to dry on a white cloth for an hour or two.
- Once all moisture has gone, grind to a fine powder and sieve well.
- Heat 1 tsp of ghee and add to the powder.
- Add 1 tsp of sugar and enough warm water.
- Mix well to a chapati dough consistency.
- Cut the plantain leaves into small-medium squares.
- Hold them over low flame to make them flexible.
- Heat a large pan of water and bring to a boil.
- Make small balls of the dough and place them on the plaintain leaves.
- Spread them using the back of a spoon or your palm.
- Drop this into the boiling water.
- Once cooked, the ada will start to float.
- Alternatively you can steam cook the ada. Remove, strain and scrape out the adas . Wash them in plenty of water to remove the stickiness and chop them finely.
- Grate the coconut and extract 1 cup of thin milk (second miland 1 cup of thick milk (first milk).
- Heat ghee in a pan over medium flame.
- Add the cooked ada and fry well.
- Add the thin milk, jaggery and sugar.
- Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Now add the thick milk and simmer for another 5 minutes, stirring thoroughly.
- Add cardamom powder and mix well.
- Fry the cashew nuts and raisins in little ghee and add to the pan.
- Serve at room temperature.