A traditional recipe from Karnataka, these are made using traditional methods that makes them unique and delicious.
Ingredients for Mangalore Idli
- 1 1/2 cup Idli Rice
- 1 cup Raw Rice
- 1 cup Urad Dal
- 1 tsp Fenugreek Seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 tsp Roasted Cashews
- a pinch Asafoetida
- 1/2 cup Curd
- 1 tsp Pepper Powder
- 3 Green Chillies finely chopped
- 2 tsp Ginger peeled, grated
- few Curry Leaves
- 1/2 tsp Sukku Powder (Dry Ginger Powder)
- 1/4 tsp Gingelly Oil
- as per taste Salt
How to make Mangalore Idli
- Soak the raw rice and idli rice together for 3 hours.
- In another bowl, soak the urad dal and fenugreek seeds together for an hour.
- Grind them separately in grinder and mix together. The batter should be thick.
- Add salt and allow it to ferment it for 8 hours.
- Later add the pepper powder, cumin powder, sukku powder, cashews, green chillies, curry leaves, grated ginger, asafoetida to the batter and mix well.
- Add the gingelly oil and curd and mix well.
- Allow the batter to rest for 1/2 hour.
- Heat an idli steamer, pour the batter in small tumblers lined with banana or jack fruit leaves and steam cook it for 10 to 15 minutes. Best to use pandan leaf moulds as indicated in the description above.
- Remove from flame.
- Serve hot with chutney and sambar.