6 November, 2020
Banarasi Tamatar Chaat
Banarasi Tamatar Chaat is a speciality street food dish from the city of Banaras. Made with tomatoes, mashed potatoes and spices garnished with date tamarind chutney, nimki / chana dal and sugar syrup, this delicious chaat is spicy & tangy. Ideal for any occasion, it is hit with people of all age groups. Make this mouthwatering tomato chaat banarasi style and serve it for the evening snack or party snack.
Ingredients for Banarasi Tamatar Chaat (Spicy Tomato Chaat)
- 2 Dry Red Chillies soaked in water for 20 to 30 minutes and drained
- 1/2 inch Ginger peeled
- 1/2 tblsp Oil
- 1 tblsp Khoya
- 1/2 tblsp Cashew Nuts
- 3/4 tsp Khus Khus (Poppy Seeds)
- 1 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1 cup Tomatoes finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Potatoes finely chopped
- as per taste Salt
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 2 tblsp Coriander Leaves chopped
- 1 1/2 tblsp Sugar Syrup
- 1 1/2 to 2 tblsp Date Tamarind Chutney
- 1/2 tsp Jeera Powder
- as required Namak Para / Nimki / Parti Mathri / Masala Chana Dal
- as required Sev
- as required Ginger Julienned
Ingredients for Date Tamarind Chutney:
- 1/2 cup Dates seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Tamarind seeded
- 1/4 cup Jaggery finely chopped
- 3/4 cup Water
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Jeera (Cumin) Powder
- as per taste Salt
How to make Banarasi Tamatar Chaat (Spicy Tomato Chaat)
To make the Date Tamarind Chutney
- Heat water in a pan over medium flame and bring to a boil.
- Add the dates, tamarind and jaggery.
- Simmer for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove and allow the mixture to cool.
- Grind the mixture to a thick paste.
- Strain well.
- Add the cumin powder, red chilli powder and salt.
- Mix well.
- Keep it in the fridge until required.
To make the banarasi tamatar chaat
- Grind the dry red chillies and ginger to a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a pan over low flame.
- Add the ground paste, khoya, cashew nuts and khus khus.
- Stir and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the garam masala powder and finely chopped tomatoes.
- Add some salt and cook for a minute.
- Using a potato masher, gently mash the tomatoes.
- Now add the chopped potatoes and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Mash the potatoes coarsely and add the red chilli powder and coriander leaves.
- Remove the pan from the flame and keep aside.
- Drizzle the sugar syrup on top.
- Garnish with jeera powder, masala chana dal and date tamarind chutney.