7 November, 2020
Coconut dal with crispy paneerPosted in : Veg/Non Veg on by : Simmi Iyer
This creamy dahl recipe is a surprisingly low-calorie dinner. Cubes of golden paneer are served on top of gently spiced dahl. This veggie dinner is best eaten with lots of chapatis
- red lentils 200g
- light coconut milk 400ml tin
- onion 1, finely chopped
- plum tomatoes 2 medium, chopped
- green chillies 2, chopped
- ground turmeric 1 tsp
- groundnut oil for frying
- paneer 225g block, cubed
- garam masala 1 tsp
- black mustard seeds ½ tsp
- cumin seeds ½ tsp
- garlic 2 cloves, sliced
- ginger a thumb-sized piece, cut into matchsticks
- coriander a handful, chopped
- chapatis to serve (optional)
- STEP 1. Put the lentils, coconut milk, onion, tomato, chillies and turmeric in a pan with 300ml water and lots of seasoning. Bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer then cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- STEP 2, Fry the paneer in a little oil until golden and crisp on all sides. Sprinkle over the garam masala, season and toss.
- STEP 3. Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a small frying pan and fry the mustard and cumin seeds until they start to pop and become fragrant. Add the garlic and ginger, and fry until very light golden.
- STEP 4. Spoon the lentils into bowls, top with the paneer then spoon over the flavored oil and spices, and sprinkle with coriander. Serve with chapatis, if you like.