Vegan Tofu Stir Fry with Vegetables in Peanut Sauce
Tofu and vegetables make for an incredibly healthy vegan dinner, and this extra saucy Asian-inspired tofu stir-fry is just as delicious as it is good for you! This tofu stir-fry calls for shiitake mushrooms and snow peas for a healthy high-fiber vegetarian dinner. Smothering it all in peanut sauce makes it absolutely delicious.
- 1 (14-ounce) package extra-firm tofu (drained and cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 2 tsp. canola oil
- 3/4 pound snow peas (trimmed)
- 1 cup red bell pepper strips
- 3/4 cup water (divided)
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 2 tsp. minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 3 cups sliced shiitake mushrooms (about 8 ounces)
- 2 tbsp. reduced-sodium tamari soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. creamy peanut butter
- 1 tsp. cornstarch
- 2 tsp. Sriracha sauce (hot chile sauce)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
Steps to Make It
- First, prepare your tofu. Like most vegetarian tofu recipes, this tofu recipe will taste best if you press the tofu first. . This allows the tofu to absorb more of the flavorings and seasonings which you add to it.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu to pan; cook 7 minutes or until lightly browned, gently turning occasionally. Remove from pan; keep warm.
- Add snow peas, bell pepper, 1/4 cup water, onions, ginger, and garlic to pan; stir-fry 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and stir-fry 2 minutes.
- Combine remaining 1/2 cup water, tamari, peanut butter, cornstarch, Sriracha sauce, and salt in a small bowl; stir well. Add tamari mixture and tofu to pan; cook 1 minute or until thickened, stirring constantly.