29 November, 2020
Moong Dal Payasam
Moong Dal Payasam or Moong Dal Kheer also called Parippu Payasam in South India is a thick, creamy sweet dish made using Moong lentils, milk, and dry fruits. It’s like a North Indian kheer made using the lentil. Here is how to make it.
- ▢½ cup Moong Dal
- ▢2 cups Water
- ▢1 tsp Ghee
- ▢1 cup Jaggery
- ▢1 cup Thin Coconut Milk
- ▢1 tsp Cardamom Powder
- ▢¼ cup Thick Coconut Milk
- ▢2 tsp Ghee
- ▢10-12 Cashew Nuts (halved)
- ▢2 tbsp Dry Coconut (thinly sliced)
- Wash the dal and add it in a pressure cooker.
- Roast until it turns brown and aromatic.
- Add water and ghee in the cooker.
- Pressure cook for 3-4 whistles on high heat or until dal is soft.
- Mix jaggery and ¼ cup water in a pan.
- Cook until jaggery dissolves in water.
- Strain the jaggery water and add in the cooked dal.
- Add 1 cup thin coconut milk and cook the payasam for 2-3 minutes.
- Add thick coconut milk and cardamom powder and cook for another minute.
- Heat ghee for frying in a pan.
- Add cashew nuts and coconut and fry until they turn brown.
- Pour the ghee over the ready payasam.
- Serve hot