30 December, 2020
Mutton BiryaniPosted in : Rice on by : Simmi Iyer
Straight from the land of Nizams, Hyderabadi Mutton Biryani is a regal dish that does not need any special mention or patronage.
Many prefer eating it with raita, salad; the original “Zayka” of this dish lies in savoring every nibble as it is.
For the rice
- Long Grain Basmati Rice – 2 cups
- Potli Masala – 10 g
- Ghee – 1 tsp
- Shahi Zeera – 1 tsp
- Salt – 4 tsp
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 2 tsp
- Green Chilli Paste – 2 tsp
- Kewra Essence – 2-3 drops
For the Mutton
- Mutton – 750 g
- Raw papaya paste – 2 tbsp
- Ginger paste – 2 tsp
- Garlic paste – 2 tsp
- Green chili paste – 2 tsp
- Garam masala powder – ½ tsp
- Red Chilli powder – 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1tsp
- Salt – 2 tsp
- Ghee – 2 tbsp
- Lemon juice – 2 tbsp
- Curd – 200 g
- Mint – 2 tbsp ( Chopped )
- Coriander – 2 tbsp ( Chopped )
- Golden fried onion – ¼ cup
For Assembling the biryani
- Milk – ½ cup
- Saffron – a good pinch ( Soaked in 2 tbsp water )
- Golden brown onion – ½ cup
- Ghee – 2 tbsp
- Wash the rice and soak in water for 40-45 minutes.
- Tie whole spices in a cloth piece to make a potli.
- Mix mutton with raw papaya paste, ginger paste, garlic paste, garam masala powder, red chili powder, turmeric powder, salt, vegetable oil, green chili paste, and lemon juice and marinate for 8-10 hours.
- Add curd, mint, coriander, and golden fried onion in the marinated mutton and mix well.
- Heat water in a large pot. Add potli masala, salt, ginger-garlic paste, green chili paste, kewra essence, and shahi jeera in the pot and bring the water to a boil.
- Drain the rice and add it to the boiling water.
- Transfer the mutton along with the marinade in a heavy bottom pan.
- Once the rice gets 80% cooked, drain it and top it over the mutton.
- Sprinkle ½ cup milk, saffron soaked in water, golden brown onion and ghee on top. I also like to sprinkle chopped coriander and mint sometimes.
- Cover the pan tightly with a lid. Place the pan on a very slow heat for 50-55 minutes. Remove the lid and mix the biryani gently. Serve hot.