19 January, 2021
Duck CurryPosted in : Kerala Style on by : Simmi Iyer
This is a traditional Kerala style Duck curry. The curry is flavor-packed with well-balanced spices and is a perfect side for appams, Idiyappam and Puttu
- ▢1/2 kg Duck (cut into medium size pieces and marinate with salt and turmeric powder.)
- ▢2 Green cardamom
- ▢2 Cloves
- ▢A small piece of Cinnamon
- ▢1/4 tsp Cumin seeds
- ▢1/2 tsp Fennel seeds
- ▢1 tsp Whole black pepper
- ▢1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- ▢2 tsp Coriander powder
- ▢10+2 Small/pearl onion (sliced)
- ▢2+1 Green chilli (slit lengthwise)
- ▢1/2 tbsp, each Crushed ginger & garlic
- ▢1.25 – 1.5 cups Medium thick coconut milk
- ▢For Tempering
- ▢1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- ▢4-6 Small/pearl onins (sliced)
- ▢1 Medium tomato (sliced)
- ▢Curry leaves
- ▢1+1 tbsp Coconut oil
- ▢Crush together cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, pepper, cumin and fennel seeds.
- ▢To the smallest jar of the mixie add 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 2 tsp coriander powder, 2 sliced pearl onions, 1 green chilli and crushed whole masala (above ingredients). Grind everything together with 2 tbsp water to a coarse paste.
- ▢Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pressure cooker and add remaining sliced pearl onions (10), green chillies (2) and crushed ginger & garlic.
- ▢Once it browns, add ground paste and salt. Fry for 3-4 mins, until the raw smell goes and oil starts appearing. Add 1-2 tbsp of hot water, if it sticks to the bottom.
- ▢Add cleaned duck pieces and mix well. Once the pieces are coated well with the masala, add coconut milk.
- ▢Cover the cooker and cook till, it’s done. (refer notes)
- ▢Heat 1 tbsp oil in a wide and deep pan. Crackle mustard seeds. Add sliced pearl onion (4-6), curry leaves. Cook till onion browns. Add sliced tomato and cook till it softens.
- ▢Add the cooked duck along with gravy. Combine everything well. Cook for another 5-7 mins on lowest flame. Remove from fire. Let the curry rest for at least half an hour for the flavors to develop