Takali( tomatoes)Rasam ( Kerala Style)
In Kerala, Tomato rasam/Thakkali rasam is mostly served in Onam sadya. Basically Kerala style rasam can be done easily with instant rasam powder or with freshly ground spices. I was looking for a simple and easy rasam recipe without rasam powder. It came out super delicious and flavorful. After a long time, myself and Raksha had a plateful of rasam rice along with our favorite side dish papadam. Do try this yummy Kerala Rasam for this Onam sadhya and enjoy like me. Lets see how to make Kerala thakkali rasam without rasam powder.
- ▢2 medium Tomato (sliced)
- ▢Small lemon size Tamarind (valanpuli / sambar puli) ( soaked in 1/4 cup water)
- ▢10 Black pepper corns
- ▢4 Dry red chilli (seedless)
- ▢6 cloves Garlic
- ▢1/4 tsp Jeera
- ▢1.5 tbsp Whole coriander seeds
- ▢A pinch Kayam (asafoteida)
- ▢Coconut oil
- ▢1-2 tbsp Chopped coriander leaves
- ▢Fry the dry red chilli for a min. Grind together fried red chilli, pepper corns, garlic, jeera and coriander seeds with 2 1/2 tbsp water (refer notes).
- ▢Heat oil and add ground masala. Fry for 2-3 mins. Add sliced tomatoes and mix well. Cook till tomatoes become soft. Add tamarind pulp and salt. Mix well. Add 2 cups of water and coriander leaves. Let it boil, reduce the flame and simmer for 5-7 mins. Add a pinch of kayam.