As the name suggests, Kanchipuram Idli is a popular Idli from Kanchipuram, a small town in TamilNadu. Kanchipuram is not only famous for Silk Sarees but also for this special Idli. This special Idli is a offered as a Prasad in Varadaraja Swamy Temple, Kanchipuram. Idli is one of the healthiest breakfast. Even for the infants, toddlers and for the elders idli is one of the harmless dish. It is one of the travel friendly dish too. Instead of making regular idli, we can try this Kanchipuram Idli. The flavor of cumin-pepper along with ginger powder makes this idli really wonderful and my whole family love having this Kanchipuram Idli! Try this and delight your family too.
- 1 cup Raw Rice 1 Cup = 250ml
- 1 cup Parboiled Rice
- 1 cup Whole Urad Dal
- 0.25 tsp Fenugreek seeds
- Salt As Needed
- 1 tsp Dry Ginger Powder
- 1 tsp Peppercorns
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- Cashew 10-12
- 2 tsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tbsp Split Bengal Gram (channa dal)
- Curry Leaves Few
SOAKING RICE & URAD DAL
- Soak the rice and urdal separately in water for atleast 2 hours. Add fenugreek seeds along with Urad Dal.
- Rinse and drain the water and grind the rice and urdal in grinder to a thick batter. The batter should not be so smooth.
- Add salt and keep the ground idly flour separately for 12 hours for the batter to undergo fermentation. Next day, you can see the batter has nicely fermented and would have become fluffy and increased its quantity
- To the batter, add ginger powder and mix well. Grind the pepper and cumin seeds in a mixer and keep this aside.
- Pour gingelly oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds starts to sputter, add channa dal and fry till the dal turns golden brown color. Next, add curry leaves, cumin-pepper powder and fry for a 10 seconds.
FINAL PREPARATION OF BATTER
- Add this mixture to the batter and stir the batter well. Now the kanchipuram idly batter is ready. Grease the idli plates with oil. Place roasted cashews in each mould.
STEAM COOKING PROCESS
- Pour the idly batter in the idly plates and steam cook it in pressure cooker for about 10 minutes. Allow it to cool and then using a wet spoon, remove the idli from the mould and keep it in plate.
CUT & SERVE!
- We can also cook these idli in a cake tin or a flat bowl. Take a flat bowl or cake tin and grease it with oil. Pour the Kanchipuram idli batter into it till half of its capacity. Steam cook it for 10 minutes. Allow the pressure to fully release and then remove the cake tin and allow it to cool off. Cooking of Idly will take more time than normal idly. Also allow it to fully cool off before. cutting the idli. Using a knife, loosen the edges and gently flip it off on a flat plate. Cut the idli into desired shapes and relish with your favorite side dishes